Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My 19th June 2nd At Mission Discovery


I would have never guessed as a disc jockey in the 70's working in Huntsville, Alabama that I would be enjoying working in my passion of helping others experience God through hands-on service projects to the poor. Even more exciting is seeing someone see the incredible power of telling the story in other lands of how God has worked in their lives. I have seen every type of person come through Mission Discovery. They fall into two basic types 1) learners who are open to God working in their lives in a fresh way and 2) people ready to "fix the world." Though category one excites me, I love watching God work in category 2. Without fail, both are deeply impacted by God's touch on short term mission trips with Mission Discovery.

Charles Kimbrough, Jr. was straddling categories 1 and 2. Tough guy, in his mid 30's, good friend of mine from Hendersonville. His goal was to build the house, help hurting people, and leave. He had some expectations of how God would use him, but God broke his heart when he connected with a child at one of the homes he was helping to build. Charles returned home to bring his wife back to the Mexico mission trip. Kara, his wife, was so impacted that she had no word, I mean she could not get words to her lips because of the flood of emotion at what God had taught her. Charles is now an advocate for Mission Discovery back home, eventually involving his cousin Macon, a former short term mission trip skeptic, now a summer staff member for Mission Discovery in Westmoreland, TN.

Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus extends an invitation, "28-30"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly." (from The Message)

An invitation to a mission trip anywhere in the world is an invitation to learn, "the unforced rhythms of grace." Would you be willing to join me on a Mission Discovery project...I would love to meet you.

1 comment:

Karla said...

Maury are you going to be in La Feria June 28th? I hope so, I would love to see you!