Monday, October 13, 2008

I'm a Space Traveler


My grandson is inquisitive. He's 6 years old, his grasp of the English language is funny. I was in Guatemala last spring on a Mission Discovery mission trip with a group of adults. I stay in touch with home now through Skype. It's free to call home from an internet cafe anywhere in the world. I Skyped home one Friday night and Bailey, my grandson was in the background. We did the regular greetings and Bailey walked over and said, "granddaddy, where are you?" "Bailey, I'm in Guatemala." He replied with a question, "Is that in this 'wworld.'" (his pronunciation). After I hung up the phone I walked home in the dark, in a city of few lights lending the sky radiant with stars and I thought of Bailey's question. It meant that he believed that I was capable of traveling to other worlds. Worlds where comic and cartoon super heroes live. Some day Bailey will bring into focus the reality of "granddaddy" and "inner galactic travel". God may believe about me much like Bailey. He says that there is another world, a world hard for me to see, but a world called eternity. He even says my home is not here, that I'm gathering "treasures" in my new home, another world where nations and tribes of all languages gather. At one of the gates of Rome a sculptor was carving an object. It was an odd shape and a passerby asked what in the world it was? "It's for the arch above the gate. I'm carving it down here so it will fit up there." Thank you Jesus for carving me in You so I will fit in a better world to come. (Eph 2:10)

1 comment:

Karla said...

I really sometimes wish I had faith and questions like a child. I'm touched everyday by the kids I get to work with! Hey Maury, i'm so excited about Jamaica. I will see you there!